Application process for pre-HW
- New Freshman
Undergraduate admissions application (indicate HW on application)
Students with an interest in HW who are admitted to Ohio State Columbus campus as first year students will be enrolled in pre-HW. Students enrolled in pre-HW are welcome to apply to the major between January and July of each year.
- Current Columbus campus students
Students are eligible to switch to pre-HW provided they have at least 12 hours of Ohio State credit and a minimum GPA of 2.75.
To request your major be changed to Pre-HW effective next semester, please complete this form. Students will be reviewed at the end of the semester to confirm they meet requirements to make this change.
- Current regional campus students
Students from a regional campus may apply directly to the HW major between October and July of each year provided they will meet all admissions requirements by the end of the spring term. Please visit the HW webpage for more information about applying directly to the HW major.
Students from a regional campus that are not eligible to apply directly to the HW major may request to change to the Columbus campus and into the pre-HW major. Students at a regional campus should speak with their regional campus advisor to submit a Campus Change Request form to the Office of Student Affairs and Success in the College of Nursing prior to the applicable deadline. Please refer to the table below regarding the request to change deadline. In order to be eligible to change to the Columbus campus, regional campus students must have 30 Ohio State credit hours in progress and maintain a minimum Ohio State GPA of 2.75 or higher.
Deadline to apply for campus change
- Transfer students
Students transferring to Ohio State Columbus Campus with 30 completed college credit hours and a GPA of 2.75 or higher are eligible for admission to pre-HW. Students who do not meet the criteria for direct admission will be placed in pre-HW. Students with less than 30 completed college credit hours will be held to new first year student requirements for pre-HW admissions.
Prerequisite Courses for the Health and Wellness Program
Prerequisites are for students applying for HW for Autumn 2022 start or later.
- English 1110
- Biology 1101 or 1113 or 1110
- EEOB 2520 or PHYSIO 3200
- Anatomy 2300, Anatomy 3300 or EEOB 2510
- Sociology 1101
Students entering Ohio State with transfer credit deemed General or Special credit may be required to have courses evaluated by the appropriate Ohio State department. This evaluation may require the student to produce a syllabus from the term and year each course was completed in order to be evaluated. To determine the suitability of credit completed at another institution, you can refer to Transferology, a web resource containing transfer information for courses offered at colleges or universities. To learn more about how to resolve transfer credit, please visit our webpage.
Other Credit considerations
College Credit Plus for prospective pre-HW students
HW is comprised of prerequisite courses, General Education (GE) coursework, major classes and electives. Students who plan to apply to the HW major should be aware of the following considerations when completing coursework through AP, College Credit Plus or transfer coursework:
- Students must receive an AP score of a 3 or higher in an equivalent course to fulfill prerequisite course requirements. No grade is assigned to an AP score, students are awarded credit hours and the prerequisite is considered fulfilled.
- Credit will transfer following the state guidelines. Credit that does not meet a specific degree requirement will be elective credit.
- Not all College Credit Plus courses apply to the degree requirements for the HW major.
- The College of Nursing requires applicants to complete the direct equivalent coursework to the prerequisite requirements. Students completing College Credit Plus are encouraged to use transferology.com or the admissions prerequisite standards website to confirm the transferability of coursework.
- Although a student may have a significant amount of College Credit Plus, this may not reduce time to graduation.
- Students are still required to apply to the major if not directly admitted, despite the amount of credit earned.
- Students must submit transcripts by the designated date in order to be considered for the HW program.
- Transfer credit is considered college coursework, and therefore is calculated into your overall GPA for the HW application.
For more general information on AP or College Credit Plus, please visit the below webpages:
Admission into the HW Major
Admission to the HW major is a formal process. Students should plan to apply to the HW program during their pre-HW year. Applications may be submitted between Jan. 18 and July 1. July 1 is the application deadline. Students are admitted to the HW major for an autumn semester start. The application can be accessed online.
For more information, please visit the HW webpage.
The Nursing and Wellness Innovations Learning Community
The Nursing and Wellness Innovations Learning Community provides the opportunity for students in pre-nursing and pre-HW to live together on a residence hall floor. The learning community offers opportunities for academic support, career exploration and integrated social experiences. Students must apply to live in the learning community. For more details, including deadlines and how to apply, visit the program page. Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.