At The Ohio State University College of Nursing, we utilize the best technology we can to accommodate students of all learning types. From our lecture capture software, our StudentWeb resource site, and with helping students support their everyday technology learning needs, we aim to support our students in the best way we can.
The following services are provided by the College of Nursing, the University, or the Office of the CIO for students of the college. While not all technologies or resources will be needed for every course taken, it is important that students familiarize themselves with the technologies that they may encounter throughout their programs and become aware of how to access technical support and documentation.
Along with the hardware and software the college provides, students are expected to maintain both their College of Nursing and Carmen/University accounts and passwords to access these services. As of Dec 20, 2016, all College of Nursing users use their OSU username (name.#) and OSU password to logon to CON systems and computers. Students may choose to use their own devices as well in addition to the lab services offered by the college.
- College of Nursing Password
Your College of Nursing password is the same password you use to login to OSU systems such as Carmen. These credentials are used to access College of Nursing (OSUCON) services such as our secure WiFi access in Newton Hall, access to computers, remote access server, video server, lecture capture system, clinical scheduler, and student web.
- If you have forgotten your OSUCON and Carmen/University password, please go to https://my.osu.edu to reset it.
- For assistance with your College of Nursing account or any College of Nursing service, please e-mail email@example.com. For assistance with your OSU username and password, please contact 614-688-HELP.
- Computer Recommendations
The College of Nursing publishes annually-updated computer recommendations for incoming students. These recommendations are intended to help students determine if their current computer will be sufficient or if they will want to consider upgrading at some point during their education.
- University/Carmen Password
You have been issued an Ohio State username (lastname.#) from the university. This will allow you access to University resources such as the library, Carmen, OCIO Software, OSU campus WiFi, and Buckeyelink as well as College of Nursing resources such as StudentWeb, video streaming server, Panopto, and Remote desktop server.
- To find, activate, or reset your University credentials please go to http://my.osu.edu
- For problems, issues, or concerns with your University credentials, please contact 614-688-HELP.
College of Nursing Resources for Students
The following resources are provided by the College of Nursing to currently admitted and enrolled students in College of Nursing degree programs (BSN, RN to BSN, MS, DNP, PhD). Many of the resources below are provided in part due to the College of Nursing Technology Fee and the College of Nursing Distance Learning Fee, which are funds that are dedicated to serving the needs of students enrolled at the College.
- Student Web
Student Web is the College of Nursing student portal. It contains documents from Student Affairs regarding policies and procedures, in-depth help, and links to College, University, and course resources.
- Panopto Lecture Capture
Panopto is used for lecture capture and pre-recorded content in a large number of Nursing courses and at all levels.
- Carmen (Adobe) Connect
We currently support this webinar solution for synchronous online courses and meetings. If your course is utilizing these tools, the links to your CarmenConnect rooms will be posted in your Carmen courses. View our CarmenConnect quickstart guide as well as our headset recommendations.
- Nursing Wireless Network
The College of Nursing offers WiFi internet access throughout Newton Hall.
- Computer Lab
The College of Nursing computer lab is for currently enrolled College of Nursing students.
- The lab seats 42 with 2 high volume printers and a scanner.
- It is located in 220 Newton Hall, open 8am-8pm Monday through Friday during Autumn and Winter. Summer hours are 7:30am-4:30pm. It is consistently staffed by a lab monitor to assist students.
- Remote Access Server
The remote access server provides students with access to a variety of software applications and to their College of Nursing network storage. Some students will also use Remote Access to access and share data for research projects.
- Software available includes Microsoft Office, SPSS, and NCLEX Review.
- To learn more, visit http://remote.con.ohio-state.edu/
The College of Nursing Tech Fee allows us to provide student with 800 pages/per semester as a print quota.
- To use, just login to the College of Nursing computer lab. Your quota is tracked automatically.
- This is available in the College of Nursing computer lab only and does not extend to University OCIO computer labs.
- Library Information
The Health Sciences Library (HSL) is your best source of information for coursework and research in Nursing and the health sciences. Please visit their website at http://hsl.osu.edu.
- The HSL has a librarian that works with Nursing students and faculty. To find out more about this service, please visit the HSL Nursing page.
RefWorks is a reference management and bibliography generating application provided by the library and installed in the Newton Hall computer lab. It can also be downloaded for use on personal computers or used via the RefWorks web interface.
- APA 6 Tutorial Link
APA 6 will be utilized for your Nursing courses. View the APA 6 guide on the Ohio State Libraries website.
University Technology Support Services
These services are provided to all students at the University as part of your general university tuition and fees.
Carmen is the University’s learning management system for for-credit coursework. It is a service provided by the University and is utilized across campus. The College of Nursing utilizes Carmen to a great extent, so it is important that you use the information below to become familiar with the system.
- The Office of the CIO Service Desk
Contact for any issues involving Carmen, your name.# username and password, or student e-mail account.
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 614-688-HELP
- OCIO Site Licensed Software
OCIO offers a variety of public domain, bulk purchase, and site-licensed software to members of the OSU community. Software acquired on a site license is limited to distribution by the OCIO.
- Selected software is available online at https://ocio.osu.edu/software
- Ohio State Wireless
Is available in many areas of campus. To learn how to connect or check to see if a building has access, please visit http://wireless.osu.edu.
The BuckeyeBar offers face-to-face technology consultation and service to current faculty, staff, and students of The Ohio State University. If you need to ask someone what computer to buy, how to get an internet connection, or how best to take advantage of OSU IT resources, they will be glad to answer all those questions and more. If your laptop can't connect to the internet, has a virus problem, or just seems a bit on the sluggish side, then they would like to help you.