Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness
The Ohio State University’s Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness (HW) will prepare you to support health and wellness across the lifespan, in all states of health, as a health promotion professional.
Throughout this undergraduate major at the College of Nursing, you’ll receive personalized instruction from world-class faculty through mostly online synchronous courses and an in-person practicum during your final year. The curriculum features coursework in topics like health literacy, health coaching, healthcare technology, dimensions of wellness and resilience and will conclude with a hands-on practicum experience. The major requires a minimum of four years, including a year of prerequisite coursework. Upon graduation, you’ll be prepared for careers in worksite wellness, community health promotion, health coaching, health-related research and more. You would also be prepared to apply for graduate professional programs.
Throughout the program, you’ll learn how to:
- Integrate knowledge of the dimensions of wellness, resilience, health risk assessment, managing energy and health coaching principles.
- Use communication, contemporary technology, and coaching techniques to promote optimal wellness.
- Create effective wellness strategies and programs to improve health using knowledge from a wide variety of scientific disciplines to support evidence-based practice in health promotion.
- Evaluate evidence-based health promotion strategies and programs to determine effectiveness at improving population health outcomes.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of health policy, ethical and legal issues, and cultural influences on health promotion practices.
- Implement evidence based and innovative concepts and skills to lead, support, and sustain an organizational culture of wellness.
- Use social determinants of health to support cultural and policy changes that can support health equity.
The job market for health promotion is projected to experience above average growth with an anticipated increase of 16 percent by 2026. Upon graduation, you'll be prepared for careers in worksite wellness, community health promotion, health coaching and more. You would also be prepared to apply for graduate professional programs.
Upon completion of the HW program, students are also prepared and eligible to sit for certifications in the field of health promotion. These certifications can give you an advantage when applying for health promotion roles. Certifications include:
- National Board-Certified Health and Wellness Coaching (NBC-HWC)
- Certified Personal Trainer
- Group Fitness Instructor
- Exercise is Medicine Credential
- Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist
- Fitness Nutrition Specialist
- Nutrition and Wellness Certification
Opens: October 1, 2023
Deadline: July 1, 2024