PhD Student Funding
The College of Nursing is committed to provide funding opportunities for our PhD students. Some available funding options include University and Enrichment Fellowships, as well as federal funding on grants and through loan programs. Additionally, as part of the program of study, PhD students submit grants to support their dissertation research; all of our students have received external funding for their dissertation research.
Our students have been successful at obtaining pre-doctoral individual Kirschstein National Research Service Awards (F31s) from the National Institute of Nursing Research for doctoral study. Over the last three years, our students have a 40% funding rate for F31s.
Other organizational and university or college funding for dissertation expenses is available to obtain; funding may be available if students' research goals and objectives are a good fit with the funder. Additionally, the college awards a number of student scholarships.
- Fellowships offered through the Graduate School
- Faculty nominate eligible students for University and Enrichment Fellowships. Please visit the Graduate Fellowships webpage to learn more about the college's requirements.
- Visit the Graduate School website to learn more about university requirements.
- If you are interested in being nominated for a Graduate School Fellowship, please apply by October 31.
- College of Nursing PhD Scholars
- This new program offers four-year funding to four full-time students. The funding would cover instructional, general and technology fees related to tuition.* Eligible Scholars would need to meet a 20-hour work requirement, among other expectations as decided by the college’s PhD subcommittee.
- Nursing Faculty Loan Program (NFLP)
- Doctoral students are eligible to apply for funds (pending availability) through the Nursing Faculty Loan Program (NFLP). The NFLP is funded by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), and is designed to increase the number of nursing faculty across the country. To learn more about this opportunity, please visit our loans webpage.
- Travel funds
- Funding is available for current students to travel to conferences and for presenting their research. The PhD Program Director or faculty advisors can provide further information.
For newly admitted students, funding opportunities are offered shortly after admission decisions are released.
*Fees not covered by the PhD Scholars funding include: student activity fee, graduate nursing program fee, COTA bus fee, student legal services annual fee, recreational fee and student union fee.