Community Health Worker Training Program
Community Health Workers* (CHWs) provide an important link to improve the health and well-being of their own neighborhoods. As members of the communities they serve, CHWs are frontline public health workers and assist in improving quality of care and breaking down cultural barriers to treatment.
CHW responsibilities may include:
- Serving as a go-between for community members and health/social service agencies
- Helping people access food, shelter and medical care
- Helping community members understand their health conditions and develop ways to improve health and well-being
- Providing basic health services such as monitoring blood pressure or providing first aid
- Making home visits to check on people who are chronically ill, pregnant or elderly (or who have other specific health conditions)
- Helping people sign up for health insurance
- Arranging transportation for medical appointments
The Ohio State University College of Nursing can train you to take your place as a vital member of the health and wellness family. Classes prepare you for certification by the Ohio Board of Nursing as a Community Health Worker.
Community Health Workers bridge the gap between people in need of care and care providers – and, as members of the community they serve, they help build trust and open lines of communication.
For more information, please contact Katie Larabee, firstname.lastname@example.org.
October 2019 - September 2020
Classes meet on Monday and Wednesday (5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.) and Saturdays (9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
- Fall Session
Start Date: November 4, 2019
End Date: February 8, 2020
classes will not be held on 11/25/19, 11/27/19, 11/30/19, 12/23/19 – 1/2/20, and 1/20/20
Graduation Ceremony: February 13, 2020
- Spring Session
Start Date: February 24, 2020
End Date: May 11, 2020
classes will not be held on 4/13/19
Graduation Ceremony: May 21, 2020
- Summer Session
Start Date: June 6, 2020
End Date: August 22, 2020
classes will not be held on 7/4/20
Graduation Ceremony: August 27, 2020
*A Community Health Worker may go by other titles, including: Community Health Representative, Community Health Advisor, Health Coach, Family Advocate, Health Educator, Liaison, Outreach Worker, Patient Navigator, Public Health Aide, Patient Care Coordinator, Promotores de Salud