Application Process for Pre-Nursing
- New Freshmen
Admitted first-year Ohio State students who have an ACT of 25 or higher, an SAT of 1200 or higher, or are in the top 10% of their high school class may enroll as a pre-nursing student. Admitted first-year Ohio State students who do not meet this criteria can enroll in the health professions exploration program to consider alternative majors. Please note that students who are not in pre-nursing can still complete all the nursing application requirements to successfully apply to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing option. Please contact Undergraduate Admissions for more information about applying to Ohio State as a pre-nursing student.
- Current Columbus campus students
Current Ohio State Columbus campus students can learn more about switching their major to pre-nursing by viewing a major change overview and completing the associated form. Click here to view the presentation. At the end of the presentation, students have the option of completing a form to request their major to be changed to pre-nursing. Students are eligible to switch to pre-nursing provided they have at least 12 hours of Ohio State credit and a minimum GPA of 3.2.
- Current regional campus students
Students from a regional campus may request to change to the Columbus campus and into the pre-nursing major. Students at a regional campus should speak with their regional campus academic advisor to submit the Campus Change Request form to the Office of Student Affairs and Success in the College of Nursing prior to the applicable deadline. Please refer to the table below regarding the request to change deadline. In order to be eligible to change to the Columbus campus, regional campus students must have 30 Ohio State credit hours in progress and maintain a minimum Ohio State GPA of 3.2 or higher.
Term Deadline to apply for campus change Autumn July 1 Spring December 1 Summer March 1
- Transfer students
Admitted transfer students to Ohio State can enroll in pre-nursing provided they have at least 30 semester hours (or 45 quarter hours) of transfer credit and at least a 3.2 cumulative GPA on all previous college coursework. Transfer students who have less than 30 semesters or 45 quarter credit hours will need an ACT of 25 or higher or an SAT of 1200 or higher to enroll in pre-nursing. Transfer students who do not meet this criteria can enroll in the health professions exploration program to consider alternative majors. Contact Undergraduate Admissions for more information about transfer policies.
Prerequisite courses for the BSN option
- English 1110
- Psychology 1100
- Chemistry 1110
- Sociology 1101 or Rural Sociology 1500
- Biology 1101 or 1113 or 1110
- EEOB 2520 (Physiology)
- Anatomy 2300 or EEOB 2510
Students entering Ohio State with transfer credit deemed General or Special credit may be required to have courses evaluated by the appropriate Ohio State department. This evaluation may require the student to produce a syllabus from the term and year each course was completed in order to be evaluated. To determine the suitability of credit completed at another institution, you can refer to Transferology, a web resource containing transfer information for courses offered at colleges or universities. To learn more about how to resolve transfer credit, please visit our webpage.
Other Credit Considerations
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree is comprised of prerequisite courses, General Education (GE) coursework, nursing major classes and electives. Students who plan to apply to the BSN major should be aware of the following considerations when completing coursework through AP, College Credit Plus or transfer credit from another institution:
- Students must receive an AP score of a 3 or higher in an equivalent course to fulfill prerequisite course requirements. No grade is assigned to an AP score, students are awarded credit hours and the prerequisite is considered fulfilled.
- Credit will transfer following the state guidelines. Credit that does not meet a specific degree requirement will be elective credit.
- Not all College Credit Plus courses apply to the degree requirements for the nursing major.
- The College of Nursing requires applicants to complete the direct equivalent coursework to the prerequisite requirements. Students completing College Credit Plus are encouraged to use transferology.com to confirm the transferability of coursework.
- Although a student may have a significant amount of College Credit Plus, this may not reduce time to graduation. The BSN is a full 3-year, lock-step program, that cannot be expedited.
- Students are still required to apply to the major, despite the amount of credit earned.
- Students must submit transcripts by the designated date in order to be considered for the BSN.
- Transfer credit is considered college coursework, and therefore is calculated into your overall GPA for the BSN application.
For more general information on transfer credit and College Credit Plus, please visit the below webpages:
Admission into the BSN major
Admission to the nursing major is a formal and very competitive process. Students should plan to apply to the BSN program during their pre-nursing year. Applications may be submitted between October 1 and January 15. January 15 is the application deadline. Students are admitted to the BSN major for an autumn semester start. The application can be found at professional.osu.edu.
For more information regarding the BSN program, please visit the BSN webpage.
The Nursing and Wellness Innovations Learning Community
The Nursing and Wellness Innovations Learning Community provides the opportunity for students in pre-nursing and pre-HWIH to live together on a residence hall floor. The learning community offers opportunities for academic support, career exploration and integrated social experiences. Students must apply to live in the learning community. For more details, including deadlines and how to apply, visit the program page. Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.