Minor in Health and Wellness
Are you interested in expanding your knowledge of health and wellness?
The Ohio State University’s Health and Wellness (HW) minor will allow you to develop the health and wellness promotion and coaching skills necessary to succeed in an increasingly complex healthcare environment. The minor can complement your degree program and help you excel in the healthcare industry.
Throughout the minor, you will learn how to:
- Integrate the dimensions of wellness to address one’s personal health needs and those of other individuals across the healthcare continuum
- Design effective wellness strategies and programs to improve health and reduce chronic disease across the lifespan
- Use evidence-based practice to support disease prevention across the lifespan
- Promote organizational transformation towards a culture that values and supports a healthy work environment
The HW Minor is an approved program by the National Board for Health & Wellness Coaching (NBHWC). Upon completion, students would be eligible to sit for the National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC) examination offered by NBHWC by following these steps:
- Complete all four courses offered in the HW minor
- Successfully complete the Practical Skills Assessment (PSA) offered as a part of the H&W 3230 course
- After successful completion of the PSA, complete 50 logged coaching sessions (each lasting 20 minutes, 17 hours of coaching)
- Apply for NBC-HWC examination to become a Health and Wellness Coach
For more information on logging coaching sessions and the examination process, please visit their website.
Declaring the HW Minor
To declare the minor, please follow the instructions listed below. You must declare your minor at least one semester prior to graduation.
- Complete this Minor Declaration Form
- Sign the Minor Declaration Form and submit it to CONemail@example.com
- The College of Nursing advisors will approve the form and return it to you to your OSU email account
- You are responsible for forwarding the signed Declaration Form to your assigned major advisor. They will process the form and add the minor to your academic record on BuckeyeLink.