- Who is my Pre-Nursing academic advisor?
You can find your advisor by checking your Buckeyelink account. If you are currently enrolled as a pre-nursing student, you can schedule an appointment with your advisor by calling the Office of Student Affairs and Success front desk at 614-292-4041.
- As a parent of a Pre-Nursing student may I contact the academic advising staff?
Parents can contact the academic advising staff. We are happy to assist you and your child throughout the pre-nursing year. However, much of the information we may access regarding your child's academic work and progression is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and may not be shared with parents without written consent of the student.
- Is it possible for a non pre-nursing student to apply to the nursing major?
Yes, students outside of the pre-nursing option may apply to the major assuming they complete the prerequisite courses and meet the minimum admissions requirements.
- Where should I send my AP scores?
Please send AP scores to the following address:
The Ohio State University
Student Academic Services Building
281 West Lane Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
- Do I really have to take a Foreign Language Placement Exam?
Although the College of Nursing does not require students to take a foreign language, we encourage students to take the Foreign Language Placement Exam. Depending on the placement score students may receive elective credit, which is required for graduation.
- What if I cannot get into the prerequisite courses?
The academic advisors will assist you in scheduling and help you register for the required classes.
- What are the requirements to remain in the Pre-Nursing major?
To maintain their status in the Pre-Nursing major, students must maintain a minimum cumulative Ohio State GPA of 3.2. Students who do not maintain a minimum cumulative 3.2 Ohio State GPA at the end of spring semester will receive a notification via email that they have fallen below the minimum GPA and will be required to change their major. Ohio State GPA does not include grades from coursework taken at other institutions. Students are not required to be in the Pre-Nursing major to apply to the BSN, and dismissal from the Pre-Nursing major does not indicate a decision on a current or future BSN application.
- My high school does not rank students and I don’t plan to take the SATs or ACTs. Would I still be considered for Pre-Nursing?
Yes, The Ohio State University’s Undergraduate Admissions Office has a method for determining your class rank which they also use for scholarship eligibility and other aspects of admission. The rank that they use will determine your eligibility for the Pre-Nursing major. For more information on this process, please contact Ohio State’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 614-292-3980 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do students who get into Pre-Nursing have priority consideration on their application?
No, while the benefits of enrollment in the Pre-Nursing program may better prepare you for the application process, simply being in the program will not impact your chances of being admitted to the BSN program.
- Can I switch to Pre-Nursing after my first year? If so, when can the switch be made?
Yes, students may become a Pre-Nursing major at any time. You can find the entrance criteria and application process here.