The application process for our Bachelor of Science in Nursing is highly selective and involves a comprehensive evaluation of all eligible and complete applicants. Our goal is to build a class that exemplifies the values of our college and the university.
Our admission process occurs one time per year. Decisions are made, by nursing faculty, after the application deadline, and applicants are notified through the Applicant Center and via email (sent by the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions) by mid-June. Some applicants may be placed on a waitlist and will receive an admission decision later in the summer.
We encourage currently enrolled Ohio State students to attend an application process overview hosted by the Office of Student Affairs, Equity and Inclusion. The overview will provide information related to the College of Nursing BSN application process, admissions timeline and selection process. The 2020 dates will be released in September.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements for Application Consideration
In order to be eligible for consideration, applicants must meet our minimum requirements:
- 3.2 cumulative (both undergraduate and graduate) grade point average
- Completion of the seven prerequisite courses with a grade of C+ or higher*
- Completion of 30 semester, undergraduate credit hours
*Students taking prerequisite courses at institutions that do not award grades on a +/- scale must earn a grade of “B” or higher in each of the prerequisite courses in order to be eligible for admission.
|Department||Ohio State course||Semester credit hours|
2300 Human Anatomy,
3300 Advanced Human Anatomy or
1101 Introductory Biology,
1110 Biology for the Health Sciences or
1110 Elementary Chemistry or
1210 General Chemistry I
|English||1110 First-Year English Composition||3|
|Psychology||1100 Introduction to Psychology||3|
|Sociology||1101 Introductory Sociology or
1500 Introduction to Rural Sociology
|Physiology (EEOB)||2520 Human Physiology||3|
You must complete all prerequisite coursework with an AP score of 3 or higher and/or a grade of C+ or higher by the end of spring semester. Please note that applicants that have completed prerequisite courses outside the university must submit an official transcript, including spring grades, to the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions by May 11, 2020. Official AP scores must also be submitted by the May 11 deadline.
Evaluation of Prerequisites
All transfer credit will be reviewed by the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions to ensure it meets prerequisite requirements.
You are responsible for verifying that all the prerequisite courses taken (or planned) meet the College of Nursing’s requirements. Prerequisite courses taken at other institutions must be direct equivalents to the courses at Ohio State to meet the requirements. To determine the suitability of credit completed at another institution, you can refer to Transferology, a web resource containing transfer information for courses offered at colleges or universities in the State of Ohio. You can also review the transfer credit charts created by the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions. If you are unable to locate your courses through these two resources, please email the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance with evaluating your courses.
With this in mind, it is important to include all current and planned transfer coursework in the prerequisite summary on the BSN application. The traditional BSN program does not accept general (GEN), special (SPL) or technical (TECH) credit for prerequisite courses. If the transfer credit is NOT a direct equivalent or you have other deficiencies related to your prerequisites, you will be notified through the “To-Do List” in the Applicant Center, which is managed by the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions. The “To-Do List” will provide detailed instructions for you to follow. If you are required to have any of your prerequisite credit re-evaluated, you will need to contact the Transfer Credit Coordinators . It’s imperative you communicate the results of the re-evaluation to the College of Nursing prior to May 11, 2020. Results of the re-evaluation should be emailed to email@example.com.
Questions or concerns regarding your transfer credit should be directed to the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions at 614-292-9444 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note the following:
- You will not be considered for admission if coursework does not meet the required direct equivalencies or if you do not meet all other admissions requirements.
- The College of Nursing will not inform you of any unfulfilled prerequisite courses or incomplete requirements.
What we're looking for
Ideal applicants are motivated learners, curious and compassionate, and committed to improving all peoples’ lives through education and community involvement. We strive to enroll an undergraduate class that exemplifies diversity in thoughts and experiences, academic preparedness and the ability to persevere through challenges.
The application review process
We receive far more applicants than we can accommodate in our program and are in a position to deny qualified applicants. Our comprehensive review process, completed by nursing faculty, allows us to admit an exceptional and diverse class that will be successful, contribute to the field of nursing and make the most of resources available to them.
The College of Nursing received 407 applications for Autumn 2019 enrollment. Below is a summary of the applicants:
- 252 (62 percent) were qualified for review and considered for admission.
- 212 (52 percent) were from Ohio State pre-nursing students, 109 of whom were offered admission.
- The remaining students were admitted from other majors at Ohio State, regional campuses and transfer students from other colleges and universities.
Requirements for the comprehensive review
- Minimum eligibility requirements for application consideration have been met
- Completion of the online application
- Written essay responses (included in online application)
- An online interview
- Official transcripts and/or official AP scores submitted by May 11, 2020
All of the criteria listed above must be completed by the application deadline. Completion of all prerequisite courses with a grade of C+ or higher by the end of the spring semester is required.
Who we are looking for
While we are seeking individuals that are academically prepared for rigors of nursing education; we also value diversity, collaboration, leadership, and other qualities that will contribute to the nursing profession and healthcare field. The below characteristics are not all encompassing, but include elements we’re looking for in the written essay responses and online interview:
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership, collaboration and/or community involvement
- The ability to overcome obstacles and challenges
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse community
- Aspire to make an impact on the healthcare field and improving peoples’ lives
- Ability to effectively communicate
The application for Autumn 2020 will open on October 1 and close on January 15. You must submit your application through the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions by the deadline.
All applicants will be evaluated based on academic record, written essay responses and an online interview. All three of these elements are considered when reviewing the applicant for admission to our program.
- 1. Submit the online application.
You must submit your online application through the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions by January 15.
- 2. Submit official transcripts and test scores of all college coursework by May 11, 2020.
- Applicants do not need to submit any transcripts for coursework completed at Ohio State.
- Transcripts for college coursework completed through post-secondary education programs are also required, regardless of whether the credit appears on your high school transcript.
- Please note that applicants that have completed prerequisite courses outside the University must submit an official transcript, including spring grades, to the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions by the May 11 deadline.
- Current Ohio State students should run a Degree Audit Report (DARs) through Buckeyelink to verify the completion of their prerequisite courses. This includes applicants who recently transferred to Ohio State and students with Advanced Placement or Post Secondary/College Credit Plus coursework. If scores or transfer coursework do not appear on your DARs, you will need to submit official scores and official transcripts to the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions. Please refer to the Transfer Credit Process section above for more information about transferability of credit.
- 3. Complete the two essay questions embedded in the online application by January 15.
- The essay questions provide an opportunity for you to share attributes and experiences that will make you a successful student in the BSN program. This can include, but is not limited to leadership experiences, ability to overcome obstacles and challenges, ability to work in a team environment, commitment to the healthcare field and openness to diversity of thought and experiences.
- The questions will be available once the application is live in early October. You will have the ability to save and go back to your work before submitting the application. Employees of the College of Nursing cannot review or edit essay responses; however, resources are available across campus to currently enrolled Ohio State students such as The Writing Center.
- 4. Complete the online interview by January 15.
- Instructions will be available in early October when the application opens.
- The interview process provides an additional avenue for you to demonstrate your attributes and experiences through a verbal response. This will provide you with an opportunity to showcase your professionalism and ability to effectively communicate your thoughts.
- Currently enrolled Ohio State students may reach out to Career Counseling for support in preparation for the interview process.
- 5. Complete your prerequisite courses by the end of the spring semester of the intended year of enrollment in the nursing program.
- Must earn a C+ or higher in the prerequisite courses or a B at institutions that do not award grades on a +/- scale.
- The GPA considered for admission will be based on the four science prerequisite courses, which includes Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology.
- Completion of 30 semester, undergraduate credit hours.
- If you are completing prerequisites at another college or university and your final spring term grades will not be posted by the transcript deadline, please reach out to our office.
For students applying directly from high school
As a senior-level high school student, you can apply directly to the BSN program, provided you meet the Minimum Eligibility Requirements for Application Consideration, listed above. You must complete all steps listed under Application Process, as well as:
- Submit the Undergraduate Admissions Ohio State application by February 1.
- Be admitted to The Ohio State University Columbus campus.
For students who are currently enrolled in another BSN program and applying as transfer students
If you are currently enrolled at an accredited BSN program at another institution and have completed bachelor’s level clinical experiences, you must complete all steps listed under Application Process, as well as:
- Submit a personal statement by January 15.
- This statement should detail why you are requesting to transfer into Ohio State’s BSN program and how you plan to be successful within the program.
- The statement should be submitted in a PDF format.
- The statement should be emailed to email@example.com by the deadline.
- Submit nursing coursework syllabi by January 15.
- You only need to submit syllabi for nursing-specific coursework that you would like to have evaluated for transfer credit.
- This includes coursework you plan to complete in spring semester.
- Syllabi should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
- Information on evaluation of prerequisite or other courses can be found in the Evaluation of Prerequisites & Transfer Credit Process above.
Acceptance of transfer students to the BSN program is based on the application review process listed above and space availability within the program.
Admissions Timeline for All Applicants
All required application materials must be submitted by their published deadlines in order for your application to be considered. Please check your Application Status page to review your status and ensure all required materials are submitted by the deadline. If you have questions about your application checklist, please email email@example.com.
A decision on your application will be published to your Application Status Center in mid-June. If you applied for Autumn 2020, you can download the admissions timeline here (coming soon). If you are admitted to the program, you will receive additional information via email, including your Virtual Admissions Packet, which will guide you through the next steps, such as how to register for classes and complete your compliance requirements.
Once released, all admission decisions for the BSN program are final. Applicants with questions related to their application decision can contact the Office of Student Affairs, Equity and Inclusion at 614-292-4041. Our office can provide you with more information on your application and appropriate next steps. We encourage parents/guardians to have their student reach out to our office for help when assistance is needed or when they have a question.
Post-admission requirement: Nursing assistant course
If you are admitted to the BSN program, you are required to complete a Nursing Assistant course. This course must be completed before beginning the program autumn semester. More information on this requirement can be found here.
Application for Autumn 2020
Opens: October 1
Closes: January 15