Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness Innovation in Healthcare
The Ohio State University’s Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness Innovation in Healthcare (HWIH) will prepare you to support health and wellness across the lifespan, in all states of health, as a health professional.
Throughout this undergraduate major at the College of Nursing, you’ll receive personalized instruction from world-class faculty. The curriculum features coursework in topics like health literacy, health coaching, healthcare technology, dimensions of wellness and resilience and will conclude with a hands-on practicum experience. The major requires a minimum of four years, including a year of prerequisite coursework. Upon graduation, you’ll be prepared for careers in worksite wellness, community health promotion, health coaching and more. You would also be prepared to apply for graduate professional programs.
Throughout the program, you’ll learn how to:
- Integrate knowledge of the dimensions of wellness, resilience, health risk assessment, managing energy and health coaching principles to address one's personal health needs and that of individuals, families, organizations and communities to enhance their wellness and achieve their potential.
- Use motivational interviewing, appreciative inquiry, shared decision-making, cognitive behavioral skills-building, contemporary technologies, health communication strategies and learner-centered educational pedagogies to communicate effectively to promote optimum wellness.
- Apply knowledge from a broad array of liberal arts and biopsychosocial sciences to evidence-based practice, principles of scientific inquiry, health literacy, health promotion, health education, prevention, and holistic health approaches in designing effective wellness strategies and programs that improve health and reduce chronic disease across the lifespan.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of health policy, ethical and legal issues, and cultural influences in collaborating with individuals, families, organizations, and communities in promoting their wellness and achieving their potential.
- Utilize innovation concepts and skills to support organizational transformation toward a culture that values and supports a healthy work environment.
- Use social determinants of health to support the development of cultural and policy changes that can mitigate health inequities.
The job market for health promotion is projected to experience above average growth with an anticipated increase of 16 percent by 2026. Upon graduation, you'll be prepared for careers in worksite wellness, community health promotion, health coaching and more. You would also be prepared to apply for graduate professional programs.
Upon completion of the HWIH program, students are also prepared and eligible to sit for certifications in the field of health promotion. These certifications can give you an advantage when applying for health promotion roles. Certifications include:
- National Board-Certified Health and Wellness Coaching (NBC-HWC)
- Certified Personal Trainer
- Group Fitness Instructor
- Exercise is Medicine Credential
- Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist
- Fitness Nutrition Specialist
- Nutrition & Wellness Certification
July 1, 2019