Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness Innovation in Healthcare
The Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness Innovation in Healthcare (BS HWIH) will prepare health professionals to support health and wellness across the lifespan, in all states of health.
The undergraduate major at the College of Nursing provides a strong academic and practical background for entry into the health promotion field. Coursework involves classroom, laboratory experiences and practicum experiences in worksites, health care settings and community-based settings. The major requires a minimum of four years, including a year of prerequisite coursework. Upon completion of the program, students are eligible to sit for certifications in the field of health promotion.
Program Learning Objectives
The Program Learning Objectives guide the program's intention. At graduation, HWIH students are prepared to:
- Integrate knowledge of the dimensions of wellness, resilience, health risk assessment, managing energy and health coaching principles to address one's personal health needs and that of individuals, families, organizations, and communities to enhance their wellness and achieve their potential.
- Use motivational interviewing, appreciative inquiry, shared decision-making, cognitive behavioral skills-building, contemporary technologies, health communication strategies and learner-centered educational pedagogies to communicate effectively to promote optimum wellness.
- Apply knowledge from a broad array of liberal arts and biopsychosocial sciences to evidence-based practice, principles of scientific inquiry, health literacy, health promotion, health education, prevention, and holistic health approaches in designing effective wellness strategies and programs that improve health and reduce chronic disease across the lifespan.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of health policy, ethical and legal issues, and cultural influences in collaborating with individuals, families, organizations, and communities in promoting their wellness and achieving their potential.
- Utilize innovation concepts and skills to support organizational transformation toward a culture that values and supports a healthy work environment.
- Use social determinants of health to support the development of cultural and policy changes that can mitigate health inequities.
Pre-Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness Innovation in Healthcare Option
Students who are admitted to Ohio State as freshmen and have an ACT of 25 or higher or SAT of 1200 or higher may enroll as a Pre-HWIH student. Pre-HWIH students take prerequisite courses and the HWIH survey course during their first year. College of Nursing professional advisors provide support to Pre-HWIH nursing students for scheduling classes and to foster academic success.
Students may apply to transfer into the Pre-HWIH option from an accredited college or university if they: 1) have at least 45 quarter credit hours or 30 semester credit hours, and 2) at least a 2.75 grade point average (GPA) on all previous college work. Students at other Ohio colleges or universities may check course equivalency at www.transferology.com or students attending schools outside of Ohio may request a prerequisite evaluation at professional.osu.edu/prereq.htm
Career Prospects in the Field of Health Promotion
Upon completion of the HWIH program, students are prepared and eligible to sit for certifications in the field of health promotion. Certifications for HWIH graduates include:
- National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coaching (NBC-HWC)
- Certified Personal Trainer
- Group Fitness Instructor
- Exercise is Medicine Credential
- Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist
- Fitness Nutrition Specialist
- Nutrition & Wellness Certification
Employment opportunities will vary and may include settings such as a worksite, hospital/clinical, insurance company, or community-based setting. A graduate of the HWIH major will be considered a health promotion professional. Beginning salaries for new graduates in the field of health promotion range from $35,000-45,000 per year. Salary ranges will vary depending upon the region of the country.