Celia E. Wills
Dr. Wills’ decision science research focuses on health-related decision processes, shared decision making of health care consumers/providers, and person-centered interventions for improving decision-making and health-related outcomes. Examples of recent projects with interdisciplinary teams at OSU and elsewhere include testing a decision support and individualized goal-setting intervention to improve self-management of type 2 diabetes mellitus, designing and testing a virtual simulation training for home healthcare workers to improve accuracy of worker risk perceptions and decision-making for managing hazards to worker health and safety in client homes, and various instrument development/validation projects.
- Arthur, E.K., Wills, C.E., Browning, K., Overcash, J., & Menon, U. (2019, in press). The Self-Efficacy to Communication about Sex and Intimacy (SECSI) scale: psychometric assessment in women treated for cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-019-04963-2
- Lavender, S., Polivka, B., Darragh, A.R., Sommerich, C.M., Stredney, D.L., & Wills, C.E. (2019, in press). Evaluating home healthcare workers’ ability to detect potential safety hazards in client homes using a virtual simulation training system. Home Healthcare Now.
- Polivka, B.J., Anderson, S.E., Lavender, S., Sommerich, C., Stredney, D.,Wills, C.E., & Darragh, A. (2019). Efficacy and usability of a virtual simulation training system for health and safety hazards encountered by healthcare workers. Games for Health Journal, 8(2). https://doi.org/10.1089/g4h.2018.0068
- Arthur, E.K., Wills, C.E., & Menon, U. (2018). A systematic review of interventions for sexual well-being in women with gynecologic, anal, or rectal cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum, 45(4), 1-14.
- Sepucha, K.R., Abhyankar, P., Hoffman, A.S., Bekker, H.L., LeBlanc, A., Levin, C.A., Ropka, M., Schaffer, V.A., Sheridan, S.L., Stacey, D., Stalmeier, P., Vo, H., Wills, C.E., & Thomson, R., Vo, H., & Wills, C. (2017). Standards for UNiversal reporting of Patient Decision Aid Evaluation studies: the development of SUNDAE checklist. BMJ Quality and Safety. doi:10.1136/bmjqs-2017-006986
- Padamsee, T.J., Muraveva, A., Yee, L.D., Wills, C.E., & Paskett, E.D. (2017). Experiencing the cancer of a loved one influences decision making for breast cancer prevention. Journal of Health Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105317746
- Padamsee, T.J., Wills, C.E., Yee, L.D., & Paskett, E.D. Decision making for breast cancer prevention among women at elevated risk. (2017). Breast Cancer Research, 19(1): 34. doi: 10.1186/s13058-017-0826-5
- Swoboda, C.M., Miller, C.K., & Wills, C.E. (2017). Frequency and completion of diet and physical activity behavior change goals among people with type 2 diabetes in a telephone coaching intervention. Clinical Diabetes, 35(5), 286-293. [Special issue on Patient-Centered Diabetes Care] https://doi.org/10.2337/cd17-0023
- Swoboda, C.M., Miller, C.K., & Wills, C.E. (2017). Impact of a goal-setting and decision support telephone coaching intervention on goal achievement and dietary, decision, and clinical outcomes among people with type 2 diabetes. Patient Education and Counseling, 100, 1367-1373. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2017.02.007
- Darragh, A.R., Polivka, B., Sommerich, C.M., Wills, C.E., Hittle, B.A., Chen, R., & Stredney, D. (2016). Gaming simulation as a health and safety training for home healthcare workers. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 12, 328-335. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2016.03.006
- Swoboda, C.M., Miller, C.K., & Wills, C.E. (2016). Setting single or multiple goals for diet and physical activity behaviors improves cardiovascular disease risk factors in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a pragmatic pilot randomized trial. The Diabetes Educator, 42(4), 379-394. DOI: 10.1177/0145721716650043
- Langer, D.A., Mooney, T.K., & Wills, C.E. (2015). Shared decision making models of treatment planning. In: P. Nathan (Ed.), Oxford Handbooks Online in Psychology: UK: Oxford University Press. DOI: 10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199935291.013.7
- Wills, C.E., Polivka, B.J., Darragh, A., Lavender, S., Sommerich, C., Stredney, D. "Making do" decision-making about home healthcare hazards among home healthcare personnel. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 38(4), 411-426. DOI: 10.1177/0193945915618950 (Recipient of the MNRS/WJNR Best Faculty Paper for 2015)
- Bose-Brill, S., Kretovics, M., Ballenger, T., Modan, G., Lai, A., Belanger, L., Koesters, S., Pressler-Vydra, T., Curtis, R., Holloman, C. & Wills, C. (2016). Development of a tethered personal health record framework for early end-of-life discussions (pilot study). The American Journal of Managed Care, 22(6), 412-418.
- Bose-Brill, S., Kretovics, M., Ballenger, T., Modan, G., Lai, A., Belanger, L., Koesters, S., Pressler-Vydra, T., Curtis, R., Holloman, C. & Wills, C. (2016). Testing of a tethered personal health record framework for early end-of-life discussions (pilot study). The American Journal of Managed Care, 22(7), e258-e263.
- Recent Research Activities
- “What’s the best way to handle situations that affect my health and safety while in a client’s home?” Developing an Interactive Video-based App that Coaches Home Healthcare Workers Through Health and Safety-related Situations (Ohio Bureau of Workers Compensation)
- Preventing Breast Cancer: Decisions and Effects Among Women at Elevated Risk (NIH/NCI)
- Personalizing Treatment Through Shared Decision-Making for Youth Psychotherapy (NIH/NIMH)
- Home Healthcare Hazard Training Through Virtual Simulation (CDC/NIOSH)
- Ohio State University College of Nursing, Outstanding Faculty Contribution While Building Character with Grace award (2016)
- Midwest Nursing Research Society Service Award (2016)
- Grants Committee Chair, Midwest Nursing Research Society (2018-present)
- Program Committee Chair, Midwest Nursing Research Society annual meeting (2016)
- Member, International Consensus on Patient Decision Aids Standards (IPDAS) collaborative
- PCORI Dissemination & Implementation study section reviewer
- NIDDK Pragmatic Research and Natural Experiments study section reviewer
- Faculty Fellow, Curriculum, OSU Graduate School (2018)
- Alternate Senator, OSU Faculty Senate (2013-2019)
- Chairperson, Council on Academic Affairs Centers Review subcommittee (2016-present)
- College of Nursing Graduate Studies Chairperson (2012-2018)
Colleges of Nursing and Medicine and Wexner Medical Center work to create solutions for underrepresentation in clinical trials
By Audra Hanners
“I think one's feelings waste themselves in words; they ought all to be distilled into actions which bring results.” ~Florence Nightingale
As a nurse and “nursepreneur,” I have come to learn the value of applying a business mindset in nursing practice.