Dr. Wills’ decision science research focuses on health-related decision processes, shared decision making of health care consumers/providers, and person-centered interventions for improving decision-making and health-related outcomes. Examples of recent projects with interdisciplinary teams at OSU and elsewhere include testing a decision support and individualized goal-setting intervention to improve self-management of type 2 diabetes mellitus, designing and testing a virtual simulation training for home healthcare workers to improve accuracy of worker risk perceptions and decision-making for managing hazards to worker health and safety in client homes, and various instrument development/validation projects.
- Arthur, E.K., Wills, C.E., Browning, K., Overcash, J., & Menon, U. (2019, in press). The Self-Efficacy to Communication about Sex and Intimacy (SECSI) scale: psychometric assessment in women treated for cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-019-04963-2
- Lavender, S., Polivka, B., Darragh, A.R., Sommerich, C.M., Stredney, D.L., & Wills, C.E. (2019, in press). Evaluating home healthcare workers’ ability to detect potential safety hazards in client homes using a virtual simulation training system. Home Healthcare Now.
- Polivka, B.J., Anderson, S.E., Lavender, S., Sommerich, C., Stredney, D.,Wills, C.E., & Darragh, A. (2019). Efficacy and usability of a virtual simulation training system for health and safety hazards encountered by healthcare workers. Games for Health Journal, 8(2). https://doi.org/10.1089/g4h.2018.0068
- Arthur, E.K., Wills, C.E., & Menon, U. (2018). A systematic review of interventions for sexual well-being in women with gynecologic, anal, or rectal cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum, 45(4), 1-14.
- Sepucha, K.R., Abhyankar, P., Hoffman, A.S., Bekker, H.L., LeBlanc, A., Levin, C.A., Ropka, M., Schaffer, V.A., Sheridan, S.L., Stacey, D., Stalmeier, P., Vo, H., Wills, C.E., & Thomson, R., Vo, H., & Wills, C. (2017). Standards for UNiversal reporting of Patient Decision Aid Evaluation studies: the development of SUNDAE checklist. BMJ Quality and Safety. doi:10.1136/bmjqs-2017-006986
- Padamsee, T.J., Muraveva, A., Yee, L.D., Wills, C.E., & Paskett, E.D. (2017). Experiencing the cancer of a loved one influences decision making for breast cancer prevention. Journal of Health Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105317746
- Padamsee, T.J., Wills, C.E., Yee, L.D., & Paskett, E.D. Decision making for breast cancer prevention among women at elevated risk. (2017). Breast Cancer Research, 19(1): 34. doi: 10.1186/s13058-017-0826-5
- Swoboda, C.M., Miller, C.K., & Wills, C.E. (2017). Frequency and completion of diet and physical activity behavior change goals among people with type 2 diabetes in a telephone coaching intervention. Clinical Diabetes, 35(5), 286-293. [Special issue on Patient-Centered Diabetes Care] https://doi.org/10.2337/cd17-0023
- Swoboda, C.M., Miller, C.K., & Wills, C.E. (2017). Impact of a goal-setting and decision support telephone coaching intervention on goal achievement and dietary, decision, and clinical outcomes among people with type 2 diabetes. Patient Education and Counseling, 100, 1367-1373. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2017.02.007
- Darragh, A.R., Polivka, B., Sommerich, C.M., Wills, C.E., Hittle, B.A., Chen, R., & Stredney, D. (2016). Gaming simulation as a health and safety training for home healthcare workers. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 12, 328-335. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2016.03.006
- Swoboda, C.M., Miller, C.K., & Wills, C.E. (2016). Setting single or multiple goals for diet and physical activity behaviors improves cardiovascular disease risk factors in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a pragmatic pilot randomized trial. The Diabetes Educator, 42(4), 379-394. DOI: 10.1177/0145721716650043
- Langer, D.A., Mooney, T.K., & Wills, C.E. (2015). Shared decision making models of treatment planning. In: P. Nathan (Ed.), Oxford Handbooks Online in Psychology: UK: Oxford University Press. DOI: 10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199935291.013.7
- Wills, C.E., Polivka, B.J., Darragh, A., Lavender, S., Sommerich, C., Stredney, D. "Making do" decision-making about home healthcare hazards among home healthcare personnel. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 38(4), 411-426. DOI: 10.1177/0193945915618950 (Recipient of the MNRS/WJNR Best Faculty Paper for 2015)
- Bose-Brill, S., Kretovics, M., Ballenger, T., Modan, G., Lai, A., Belanger, L., Koesters, S., Pressler-Vydra, T., Curtis, R., Holloman, C. & Wills, C. (2016). Development of a tethered personal health record framework for early end-of-life discussions (pilot study). The American Journal of Managed Care, 22(6), 412-418.
- Bose-Brill, S., Kretovics, M., Ballenger, T., Modan, G., Lai, A., Belanger, L., Koesters, S., Pressler-Vydra, T., Curtis, R., Holloman, C. & Wills, C. (2016). Testing of a tethered personal health record framework for early end-of-life discussions (pilot study). The American Journal of Managed Care, 22(7), e258-e263.
- Recent Research Activities
- “What’s the best way to handle situations that affect my health and safety while in a client’s home?” Developing an Interactive Video-based App that Coaches Home Healthcare Workers Through Health and Safety-related Situations (Ohio Bureau of Workers Compensation)
- Preventing Breast Cancer: Decisions and Effects Among Women at Elevated Risk (NIH/NCI)
- Personalizing Treatment Through Shared Decision-Making for Youth Psychotherapy (NIH/NIMH)
- Home Healthcare Hazard Training Through Virtual Simulation (CDC/NIOSH)
- Ohio State University College of Nursing, Outstanding Faculty Contribution While Building Character with Grace award (2016)
- Midwest Nursing Research Society Service Award (2016)
- Grants Committee Chair, Midwest Nursing Research Society (2018-present)
- Program Committee Chair, Midwest Nursing Research Society annual meeting (2016)
- Member, International Consensus on Patient Decision Aids Standards (IPDAS) collaborative
- PCORI Dissemination & Implementation study section reviewer
- NIDDK Pragmatic Research and Natural Experiments study section reviewer
- Faculty Fellow, Curriculum, OSU Graduate School (2018)
- Alternate Senator, OSU Faculty Senate (2013-2019)
- Chairperson, Council on Academic Affairs Centers Review subcommittee (2016-present)
- College of Nursing Graduate Studies Chairperson (2012-2018)
The need for human touch is universal among critical care patients and is an important component of the nurse–patient relationship. However, multiple barriers to human touch exist in the critical care environment. With little research to guide practice, we argue for the importance of human touch in the provision of holistic nursing care.
The five-year, $3.13 million grant will deploy social-assistive robots at Ohio Living Westminster-Thurber and Chapel Hill Community in Canal Fulton near Canton for an eight-week trial. The study is aimed at curbing loneliness and apathy in older adults, especially for those with dementia.