Janine Overcash is a Professor of Clinical Nursing and the Co-Director of the Academy for Teaching Innovation, Excellence and Scholarship. Dr. Overcash is also a nurse practitioner in the Senior Adult Oncology Program and the James Cancer Hospital Stefanie Spielman Comprehensive Cancer Center specializing in the care of the older person. Dr. Overcash is recognized as a Fellow in the National Academy of Practice, the American Association of Nurse Practitioners and the American Academy of Nurses. Dr. Overcash was an Associate Professor of Nursing at the University of South Florida and assisted in the design and management of one of the first geriatric oncology programs located at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute in Tampa, Florida. Dr. Overcash has authored over fifty peer reviewed journal articles in the area of geriatric assessment. A book entitled, The Older Cancer Patient: A Guide for Nurses and Related Professionals by Janine Overcash and Lodovico Balducci highlights principles of care of the older person with cancer and received book of the year award by the American Journal of Nursing. Dr. Overcash has completed a postdocterate with the John A. Hartford Building Academic Geriatric Nursing Capacity Program. Dr. Overcash participated in the Geriatric Nurse Educational Consortium sponsored by the American Academy of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) and the John A. Hartford Foundation that instructed over 500 faculty from all over the United States.
Dr. Overcash's research interests include understanding falls, performance status and independence in older cancer patients. Dr. Overcash speaks nationally and internationally on aspects of geriatric assessment and care of the older person diagnosed with cancer.
- Arthur, E., Wills, C., Browning, K., Overcash, J., Menon, U. (In Press). The Self-Efficacy to Communicate about Sex and Intimacy (SECSI) Scale: Psychometric Assessment in Women Treated for Cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer. doi.org/10.1007/s00520-019-04963-2
- Overcash, J. (In Press). Cancer Treatment and Intervention. In Capezuti, E., Zwicker, D., Mezey, M., Fulmer, T. (Eds.). Evidence Based Geriatric Nursing Protocols for Best Practice (4th ed). NY: Springer Publishing Co. Evidence-Based Geriatric Nursing Protocols, 5th Edition. Cancer in Aging, New York: Springer Publishing.
- Garnett, D., Hardy, L., Fitzgerald, E., Graham, E., Fisher, T. (Under Review). Evaluation of Ambulatory Hematological Nurse Case Manger Through Measurement of Care Coordination and Quality and Resource Utilization Outcomes in an Academic Cancer Center. Journal of Clinical Oncology Nursing.
- Overcash, J., Ford, N., Ubbing, C., Williams, N. (2019). Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment as a Versatile Tool to Enhance the Care of the Older Person Diagnosed with Cancer. Geriatrics. 4(2), doi:10.3390/geriatrics4020039
- Wyman, J., Abdallah, L., Baker, N., Bell, C., Cartwright, J., Greenberg, S., Kim, J., Krichbaum, K., Mueller, C., Overcash, J., Skemp, L., Van Son, C. (In Press). The Journal of Professional Nursing, Defining Core Competencies for Educators in Gerontological Nursing: An Iterative Process.
- Overcash, J., Fuggett, S., Tan, A., Ginther, J. & Williams, N. (In Press). Strain Among Caregivers of Older Persons Diagnosed with Breast Cancer Living in the Midwest Region of the United States: A Cross-Sectional Study using Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment, Oncology Nursing Forum.
- Teall, A., Graham, M., Jenkins, N., Ali, A., Pryba, J., Overcash. J. (2019). Faculty Perceptions of Engaging Students in Active Learning to Address Implicit Bias Using Videos Exemplifying the Prenatal Visit of a Lesbian Couple. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. doi: 10.1177/1043659619828109
- Strait, L., Fitzgerald, E., Zurmehly, J., & Overcash, J. (In Press), Transition of Care from Hospital to Home: Faith Community Nurses Fill the Gap: A Program Evaluation. Journal of Christian Nursing.
- Overcash, J., Cope, D.G., & Van Cleave, J. (2018). Frailty in Older Adults. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 22(6), 8-18.
- Overcash, J., Noonan, A., Abels, S., Erdeljac, H.P., Fugett, S., Knass, B., Kress, E., & Utendorf, C, Noonan, A. (2018). Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment in Oncology: Best Practice in Caring for Older Patients, Journal of Advanced Practitioners in Oncology. 9(6), 640-644.
- Dabelko-Schoeny, H., Shin, J., Kowal, E., Overcash, J.,Caterino, J. & Happ, M. (2018). Staff Perceptions of Adult Day Centers Providing Post-Acute Care for Persons with Dementia. Journal of Applied Gerontology. doi: 10.1177/0733464818757001
- Overcash, J., Noonan, A., Abels, S., Erdeljac, H.P., Fugett, S., Knass, B., Kress, E., & Utendorf, C. (2018). Geriatric Oncology Ambulatory Care Clinics. Oncology Times. 33(3), 31-37.
- Overcash, J., Noonan, A., Tan, A., & Patel, K. (2018). Factors Associated with Poor Sleep in Older Women Diagnosed with Breast Cancer, Oncology Nursing Forum. 45(3): 359-371.
- Overcash, J. (2018). Nursing Role in Developing Recommendations as Detected with the Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 22(3), 1-11.
- Overcash, J & Momeyer, M. (2017). Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment and Caring for the Older Person with Cancer. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 33(4), 440-448.
- Recent Research Activities
- 2018 Funding for the project entitled, Improving the Health of Student Nurses by Incorporating Wellness and Self-care Into Curricula through the Ohio Council of Deans and Directors. Mentor, PI Kate Gawlik
- 2014 Prescribing Adult Day Health Services (ADS) to Reduce Emergency Department (ED) and Hospital readmissions-Chart Review Study. Co-Investigator. Funded Internally at Ohio State University, 25,000.
- 2014 Comprehensive Geriatric Assess in the Older Person Diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Principal Investigator.
- 2013 Interdisciplinary Education for Spiritual Care of Cancer Patients: A Program Evaluation. Principal Investigator.
- 2013 Advanced Practice Oncology Fellowship (APOF) Program. Received an internal grant of an embedded librarian to help with the project. 40,000. Principal Investigator and now co-investigator.
- 2011 The Benefits of Mind-Body Movement in Cancer Survivors. Principal Investigator.
- 2011 Impact of a Transitional Care Model in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease. Principal Investigator and now Co-investigator.
- 2011 Care of Patients Diagnosed with Sickle Cell Disease at The James Cancer Hospital. Principal Investigator and now Co-Investigator
- Journal Articles
- Clarke, J., Momeyer, M., Rosselet, R., Sinnott, L., & *Overcash, J. (In Press). Serious Illness Conversation Training: Inpatient Medical Oncology Advanced Practice Providers: A Quality Improvement Project, Journal of the Advanced Practitioner in Oncology.
- Arthur, E., Menon, U., Browning, K., Overcash, J., Wills, C. (2021). Challenges of Cognitive Interviewing in Sensitive Health Topic Research. Nursing Research, 40(10), 1570-1571.
- Overcash, J., Johnson, M., Sinnott, L., & Williams, N. (In Press). Influence of Functional Status and Depression on Caregiver Strain in Older Women Diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing.
- Overcash, J., Riffle, H., Sinnott, L., Williams, N. (2021). Self-report and Performance-based Evaluation of Functional Status in Older Patients Diagnosed with Breast Cancer, Oncology Nurse Forum, 48(6): 657-668.
- Monfardini,S., Balducci, L., Overcash, J., & Aapro, M. (2021). Landmarks in Geriatric Oncology. Journal of Geriatric Oncology, eb 25;. doi: 10.1016/j.jgo.2021.02.015. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 33642224.
- Presley CJ, Krok-Schoen JL, Wall SA, Noonan AM, Jones DC, Folefac, E, Williams N, Overcash J, Rosko AE. (2020). Implementing a multidisciplinary approach for older adults with Cancer: geriatric oncology in practice. BMC Geriatrics 6;20(1):231.
- Monfardini,S., Balducci, L., Overcash, J., & Aapro, M. (2020). Cancer in Older Adults: The History of Geriatric Oncology, 1980–2015: How the scientific achievements in the treatment of elderly patients with cancer have led to better outcomes. Our hope...
- Gawlik, K., Guo, J., Tan, A., & *Overcash, J. (2020). Incorporating a Microlearning Wellness Intervention into Nursing Student Curricula to Improve Stress, Anxiety and Healthy Lifestyle Beliefs. Nurse Educator, 46(1): 49-53.
Award recognizes contributions to champion diversity, inclusion and sustainability in nursing education
The American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) honored The Ohio State University and its College of Nursing with its 2022 Diversity, Inclusion and Sustainability in Nursing Education Lectureship Award for Academic Health Centers.
Honor recognizes commitment to and impact on field of neonatal nursing
The National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN) awards its Lifetime Achievement in Neonatal Nursing Award to Rita H. Pickler, PhD, RN, FAAN, FloAnn Sours Easton Endowed Professor of Child and Adolescent Health and director of the PhD program at The Ohio State University College of Nursing.