- Social determinants of health and healthcare
- Effects of social context on psychosocial and biological health
- Chronic stress biomarkers
- Health inequities
- Boch, S.J.*, Warren, B., & Ford, J.L. (In-press). Attention, externalizing, and internalizing problems of youth exposed to parental incarceration. Issues in Mental Health Nursing.
- Giurgescu, C., Nowak, A.*, Gillespie, S., Nolan, T., Anderson, C.M., Ford, J.L., Hood, D.B., & Williams, K.P. (In press). Neighborhood Environment and DNA Methylation: Implications for Cardiovascular Disease Risk. Journal of Urban Health.
- Ford, J.L., Anderson, C., Gillespie, S. Giurgescu, C., Nolan, T., Nowak, A.*, & Williams, K.P. (In-press). Social integration and quality of social relationships as protective factors for inflammation in a nationally representative sample of Black women. Journal of Urban Health.
- Schmeer, K., Ford, J.L., & Browning, C.R. (2018). Early childhood family instability and immune system dysregulation in adolescence. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 102, 189-195.
- Knupp, A.*, Patterson, E., Ford, J.L., Zurmehly, J., & Patrick, T. (2018). Associations among aspects of the neonatal intensive care unit nursing practice environment, individual nurse characteristics, and nurse fatigue. Journal of Nursing Administration, 48, 642-648.
- Boch, S.J.* & Ford, J.L. (2018). The physical and mental health effects of parental incarceration on children and adolescents: An integrative review. Forensic Nursing, 14, 61-71.
- Wright, K.D., Ford, J.L. Perrazol, J., Jones, L.M., Mahari, S., & Laudenslager. (2018). Collecting hair samples for hair cortisol concentration analysis in African Americans. Journal of Visualized Experiments (JOVE), 136.
- Ogbolu, Y., Ford, J.L., Cohn, E., Gillespie, G. (2017). Nurses on the move: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholars and their action on the social determinants of health. Ethnicity and Health, 1-11.
- Ford, J.L. & Stowe, R. (2017) Depressive symptoms are associated with salivary shedding of Epstein-Barr virus in female adolescents: The role of sex differences. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 86, 128-133.
- Bates, R.*, Salsberry, P., & Ford, J.L. (2017). Measuring stress in young children using hair cortisol: The state of the science. Biological Research for Nursing, 19, 499-510.
- Browning, C.R., Calder, K., Ford, J.L., Smith, A., & Haynie, D. (2017). Understanding racial differences in exposure to violent locations: Integrating survey, smartphone, and administrative data resources. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 669, 41-62.
- Ford, J.L., Boch, S.J.,* & McCarthy, D. (2016). Feasibility of hair collection for cortisol measurement in population research on adolescent health. Nursing Research, 65, 249-55.
- Boch, S.* & Ford, J.L. (2015). C-reactive protein levels among U.S. adults affected by parental incarceration. Biological Research for Nursing, 17, 574-84.
- Ford, J.L. & Browning, C.R. (2015). Exposure to neighborhood immigrant concentration from adolescence to young adulthood and immune function among Latino young adults. Health & Place, 32, 59-64.
- Ford, J.L. & Browning, C.R. (2014). Effects of exposure to violence with a weapon during adolescence on adult hypertension. Annals of Epidemiology, 24, 193-8.
- Ford, J.L. & Browning, C.R. (2014). Neighborhoods and infectious disease risk: Acquisition of chlamydia during the transition to young adulthood. Journal of Urban Health, 91, 136-50.
- Ford J.L. & Stowe, RP. (2013). Racial/ethnic differences in Epstein-Barr virus antibody titers among U.S. children and adolescents. Annals of Epidemiology, 23, 275-80.
- Ford, J.L & Rechel, M. (2012). Parental perceptions of the neighborhood context and adolescent depression. Public Health Nursing, 29, 390-402.
- Ford, J.L. & Browning, C.R. (2011). Neighborhood social disorganization and the acquisition of trichomoniasis among young adults in the United States. American Journal of Public Health, 101, 1696-703.
- Ford, J.L. (2011). Racial and ethnic disparities in HPV awareness and vaccination among young adult women: Findings from the 2007-2008 National Survey of Family Growth. Public Health Nursing, 28, 485-493.
- Ahijevych, K, & Ford J.L. (2010). The relationships between menthol cigarette preference and state tobacco control policies on smoking behaviors of young adult smokers in the 2006-2007 Tobacco Use Supplements to the Current Population Surveys. Addiction, 105 (s1), 46-54.
- Smith, L. & Ford, J. (2010). History of forced sex and young adult males' engagement in sexual risk behaviors. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2, 87-92.
- Ford, J. & Forthofer, M. (2010). Social disparities in the receipt of contraceptive services among sexually experienced adolescent females. Social Work in Public Health, 25, 352-367.
- Nearns, J. (2009). Health insurance and prescription contraceptive use among yourng adult women at risk for unintended pregnancy. Contraception, 79, 105-110.
- Nearns, J., Baldwin, J., & Clayton, H. (2009). Social, behavioral and health care factors associated with recent HIV testing among sexually active non-Hispanic Black women in the U.S. Women's Health Issues, 19, 52-60.
- Funded Research Grants
- Ford, J.L. (PI) & Kue, J.
Evaluation of the Core Determinants of Health.
Sub-award from Ohio Action Coalition and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Total award: $61,075 08/01/2018 – 07/31/2019
- George, K., Freisthler, B., Burns, T., Miller, L., Ford, J.L., Stull, J., Cole, K. & Guada, J.
Reducing trauma in opioid-affected families using human-animal interaction techniques: A feasibility study.
OSU Opioid Innovation Funding
Total award: $49,970 05/15/2018 – 04/30/2019
- Feng, X., Wong, J. & Ford, J.L.
Biological and psychosocial risk factors predicting maternal depression and child mental health problems.
Total award: $100,000 04/01/2017 – 03/31/2018
- Ford, J.L. (PI) & Browning, C.R.
Gender differences in the effects of adverse environments on physiologic stress.
Ohio State University Institute for Population Research
Total award: $25,000 05/15/2015 – 05/14/2016
- Ford, J.L. (PI), Browning, C.R., Calder, C.
Sociospatial exposures to crime and violence and chronic physiologic stress among urban adolescents.
Ohio State University Criminal Justice Research Center
Total award: $10,000 01/01/2015 – 12/31/2015
- Ford, J.L. (PI), Browning, C.R., McCarthy, D., & Szalacha, L.
Linking biological and social pathways to adolescent health and well-being.
National Institutes of Health – National Institute on Drug Abuse
Total award: $409,194 07/15/2013 – 06/30/2015
- Ford, J.L. (PI), Browning, C.R., & Salsberry, P.
The contribution of neighborhood and school disadvantage during adolescence to sexual risk & STI during young adulthood: A multilevel analysis.
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholar Program
Total award: $350,000 09/01/2010 – 08/31/2013
- Ford, J.L. (PI) & Kue, J.
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Insight Into Diversity magazine, the oldest and largest diversity-focused publication in higher education, honored The Ohio State University College of Nursing today with the 2019 Health Professions Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award to recognize the college’s outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Americans overestimate their own resilience, which impacts their health and wellness. The good news: Anyone can learn resilience. The bad news: Most don't know they need to acquire it.