PhD Student Funding
The College of Nursing is committed to provide funding opportunities for our PhD students. Some available funding options include University and Enrichment Fellowships, as well as federal funding on grants and through loan programs. Additionally, as part of the program of study, PhD students submit grants to support their dissertation research; over the past three years, our students have had a 65% funding rate on all grant submissions, providing support for their research and education.
Our students have been successful at obtaining pre-doctoral individual Kirschstein National Research Service Awards (F31s) from the National Institute of Nursing Research for doctoral study. Over the last three years, our students have a 41% funding rate for F31s.
Other organizational and university or college funding for dissertation expenses is available to obtain, funding may be available if students' research goals and objectives are a good fit with the funder. Additionally, the college awards a number of student scholarships.
- Fellowships offered through the Graduate School
- Faculty nominate eligible students for University and Enrichment Fellowships. Please visit the Graduate Fellowships webpage to learn more about the college's requirements.
- Visit the Graduate School website to learn more about university requirements.
- If you are interested in being nominated for a Graduate School Fellowship, please apply by November 15.
- Nursing Faculty Loan Program (NFLP)
- Doctoral students are eligible to apply for funds (pending availability) through the Nursing Faculty Loan Program (NFLP). The NFLP is funded by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), and is designed to increase the number of nursing faculty across the country. To learn more about this opportunity, please visit our loans webpage.
- Dissertation funds
- Funding is available to support dissertation from the College of Nursing. Applications are made available each semester and students are notified of these opportunities via email. These dissertation funds support direct research costs.
- Travel funds
- Funding is available for current students to travel to conferences and for presenting their research. The PhD Program Director or faculty advisors can provide further information.