Technology Services for the Office of Continuing Education
The college offers a wide-spread list of technologies to support programs of the Office of Continuing Education (CE). Listed below is a selection of these services which are available to instructors teaching CE sponsored programs. Please ask the Director of CE to contact the IT Department to discuss utilizing any of the services below.
The College of Nursing has several lecture halls and traditional classrooms. These rooms are supported and maintained by the IT Department and is equipped with the following standard equipment:
- Touch screen control system
- A projector, supplemented with plasma screens in larger rooms and an installed speaker system
- A computer running Windows
- Microphone and webcam for lecture capture (Panopto Recorder) and online meetings (Zoom, MS Teams)
- Standard software
For events and classes outside of the college, the college can provide a portable projector and laptop to faculty and staff for short-term loan. Some venues may require or be best suited for renting their equipment, so check with your event planner or the college IT department.
Learning Management System
We support a learning management system that has been specifically tailored to Continuing Education and programs that reach beyond the University. This system facilitated Continuing Education courses in a variety of ways
- Management of content
- Rule-based Continuing Education certificates
- Registration system
We support and encourage the development of eLearning modules, online courses and continuing education courses. At this time we support the four online programs of the College, numerous online courses and programs hosted through the Office of Continuing Education.
- Carmen is learning management system for credit-bearing courses offered at Ohio State. We utilize Carmen to deliver and organize content in all of our degree programs and can consult with faculty to increase their skills, create quizzes and tests and integrate Carmen use into their courses.
- SoftChalk is an easy to use eLearning Authoring tool supported by the college which can be utilized to easily create interactive eLearning modules for courses, continuing education and training.
- College of Nursing IT professionals have been trained to utilize the Quality Matters framework to ensure course quality.
- The College of Nursing IT Department supports the Office of Continuing Education use of technology to create and deliver eLearning courses.
Lecture Capture, Podcasting and Video
The College of Nursing IT Department can support a variety of technologies to produce and deliver video content.
- Panopto is the preferred tool for the creation and distribution of content. It can be used to record audio, video and computer screens from one or more computers and can “Live Broadcast” presentations or allow them to be streamed. Videos can be edited online without the need for additional software installation. Panopto can also be utilized as a Podcasting system or for delivery of content on mobile devices and smartphones.
- Podcasts: Panopto is utilized to create audio and video podcasts for subscription of content and delivery to mobile devices, smart phones and computers.
- Digital Video: We support the creation of content utilizing camcorders, the Integrated Codec Unit (ICU) and the iSWAT. Primarily our support services are for simulations and basic one-camera videos. If more complicated shoots are necessary please contact support.
The college supports webinar technologies for courses that want to meet synchronously online, outreach and to facilitate meetings. This software can be used for meeting and advising online students or for virtual office hours.