Jodi McDaniel, PhD, RN
Associate Professor; Director, Honors Program
372 Newton Hall
1585 Neil Avenue Columbus, OH 43210
Dr. McDaniel’s nursing research career began in the operating room where she became fascinated with the intricacies of wound healing. Dr. McDaniel’s program of research addresses the molecular mechanisms of chronic wound states and specifically, whether omega-3 fatty acids have the ability to facilitate the healing of chronic wounds.
Current and Recently Completed Research Activities
- 2014 - 2016 "Profiling Lipid Mediators of Inflammation in Microenvironment of Chronic Venous Leg Ulcers - VA Study." The 2014 Silver Level Research Grant In Integrative Health and Wellness - The Ohio State University. $5000. Role: Principal Investigator
- 2014 - 2016 "Novel bioelectric based dressings for treatment of chronic wound biofilm infections." The Ohio State University Center for Clinical and Translational Science Longitudinal Project Awards. $25,000. Role: Co-Investigator
- 2013 - 2015 "Profiling Lipid Mediators of Inflammation in Microenvironment of Chronic Venous Leg Ulcers - VA Study." The Ohio State University College of Nursing Seed Grant. $10,000. Role: Co-Investigator
- 2012 - 2014 "Testing fish oil-derivatives in healing of chronic venous leg ulcers." National Institutes of Health. NIH/NINR 1R21NR012803-01A1. $419,375. Role: Principal Investigator.
- 2010 - 2012 "Profiling Lipid Mediators of Inflammation in Microenvironment of Chronic Venous Leg Ulcers." The OSU Center for Clinical and Translational Science (CCTS). National Center for Research Resources/NIH. ULRR025755. $25,000. Role: Principal Investigator
- 2008 - 2011 "Development of a biologically-based nursing intervention for cancer cachexia." NIH/NIR. 1R15NR010801-01A1. Role: Co-Investigator
- 2008 - 2009 “Testing of Fish Oil-Derivatives in Wound Healing,” New Investigator Seed Research Grant Award, Midwest Nursing Research Society, $10,000. Role: Principal Investigator
- 2008 - 2009 “Testing of Fish Oil-Derivatives in Wound Healing,” Seed Grant, The Ohio State University College of Nursing, $14,500. Role: Principal Investigator
Abstracts and Short Entries
- Sawyer, J, McDaniel, J.C. 2015. The Effects of EPA+DHA Supplements on CRP Levels in Patients with Chronic Venous Leg Ulcers: A Pilot Study in Older Adults. Abstract/poster presentation – OSU 20th Denman Undergraduate Research forum (2015). http://hdl.handle.net/1811/68721 *
- McDaniel, J.C. 2014. Diet-gene Interactions May Impact Inflammation Status in Patients with Chronic Venous Leg Ulcers. [Abstract]. Online supplement publication of Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. (In Press)*
- McDaniel, J.C. 2010. Testing of Fish Oil-Derivatives in Wound Healing - A Pilot Study [Abstract]. Wound Repair and Regeneration. Vol. 18, no. 2. Malden, MA, USA: Wiley Periodicals, Inc. (March): A27-A27. (IF: 2.781) (Published)*
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- McDaniel, J., Kemmner, K., Rusnak, S. 2015. Nutritional profile of older adults with chronic venous leg ulcers: A pilot study. Geriatric Nursing. (In Press)*
- McDaniel, J., Browning, K. 2014. Smoking, chronic wound healing and implications for evidence-based practice. Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing. Vol. 41, no. 5. (Sept./Oct.): 415-423.
- McDaniel, J., Giovannelli, M., Happ, M.B. 2014. Exemplars of Complex Assessment and Care for Hospitalized Older Adults: Genital Herpes Infection. Geriatric Nursing. Vol. 35, no. 3. (May/June): 233-235.
- McDaniel, J., Ickes, E. 2013. Beneficial n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid levels and n-6:n-3 ratios after 4-week EPA + DHA supplementation associated with reduced CRP: A pilot study in healthy young adults. Modern Research in Inflammation. Vol. 2, no.4. (Jul): 59-68.*
- Wilgus, T., Roy, S., & McDaniel, J. 2013. Neutrophils and wound repair: Positive actions and negative reactions. Advances in Wound Care. Vol. 2, no.7. (Sep): 379-388.
- McDaniel, J.C., Roy, S., & Wilgus, T. 2013. Neutrophil activity in chronic venous leg ulcers – A target for therapy? Wound Repair and Regeneration. Vol. 21 (May): 339-351. (IF: 2.911)
- McDaniel, J.C., Belury, M. 2011. Are food and exercise choices of younger adults reflecting the Dietary Guidelines for Americans? The Nurse Practitioner. Vol. 37, no. 5 (May): 1-9.*
- McDaniel, J.C., Massey, K., Nicolaou, A. 2011. Fish oil supplementation alters levels of lipid mediators in microenvironment of acute human wounds. Wound Repair and Regeneration. no. 19. : 189-200. (IF: 2.781)*
- McDaniel, J.C., Belury, M., & Ahijevych, K. 2010. Effect of n-3 oral supplements on n-6/n-3 ratio in young adults. Western Journal of Nursing Research. Vol. 32, no. 1. (February): 64-80. (IF: 0.99)*
- McDaniel, J.C., Belury, M., & Ahijevych, K. 2008. Omega-3 fatty acids effect on wound healing. Wound Repair and Regeneration. Vol. 3, no. 16 (May): 337-345. (IF: 2.781)*
- Keib, C., & Pelham, J. (McDaniel). 2006. Mediastinitis following coronary artery bypass graft surgery: Pathogenesis, clinical presentation, risks and management. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. Vol. 6, no. 21. (November): 493-499. (IF: 1.533)