MS Traditional Admissions
Candidates must meet the following admission requirements of both The Ohio State University Graduate School and the College of Nursing:
Bachelor of Science in Nursing from an accredited program at the time of enrollment in the graduate program or licensure as an RN and graduation from an accredited baccalaureate program.
The Graduate School requires a minimum 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale in all prior undergraduate and graduate level coursework. (The average grade point average of applicants who are admitted to the program is above 3.3 on a 4.0 scale.)
If an applicant has attended more than one university, all GPAs will be combined. This will occur after an applicant has applied online to the graduate school and all transcripts have been received.
- **NEW** Starting with Autumn 2014 applications (available July 2013) GRE scores, taken within the past five years, will only be required for applicants who meet any of the following criteria:
1) Applicant has a total combined undergraduate GPA below a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale; or,
2) Applicant has a total combined graduate GPA below a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale; or,
3) Applicant has previous coursework completed at an unaccredited college or university; or,
4) Applicant is interested in being considered for nomination in the Graduate School's University Fellowship competition.
Note: The Graduate School may require a GRE score from any applicant to further evaluate their application. GRE scores in the 50th percentile are considered competitive.
Admissions Deadline Information
Autumn 2014 (only) January 15
Applications and all supporting application materials (including reference letters, transcripts, and supplemental application components) must be posted as complete, by the College of Nursing and/or Graduate Admissions Office, by the deadline.
**Deadlines if also applying for funding (i.e. University Fellowships ):: Int'l applicants-Nov 30; U.S. applicants- Jan 7.)
Application should be made, GREs taken, and transcripts sent, two weeks prior to the deadline!
Transcripts may take up to 5 business days to post as completed. GRE scores may take up to 10 business days to electronically post as completed. Please plan accordingly! These items must be posted as completed by the deadline.
Most applicants can check their application completion status through the Application Status website at:
Your username and password match those which you used to apply.
If you have difficulty logging in, go to https://my.osu.edu/ or email email@example.com .
Only former OSU graduate students, applying through a "transfer of program" form (via the Graduate School), need to contact the College of Nursing to check application completion status .
All applicants are expected to keep track of their completion status...
Any item still marked as incomplete by the deadline stated above, regardless of the reason, may result in your application being removed from consideration. Remember: someone’s assurance that a transcript or letter has been sent, does not means that it has been received/processed.
Applicants who wish to be considered for a University Fellowship must apply and submit all application materials by January 7th. (November 30 for International applicants.) A GRE score taken in the last 5 years is required for all Fellowship applicants.
The following materials are required:
- Graduate School application (Apply online at http://www.gradapply.osu.edu . Use the All Other Graduate Programs link at the bottom of this page . ).
While the rest of the items may be sent in as completed, the online application is required to officially start the admissions process.
- Although you have the option to upload materials with your application, you are not required to do so. Please see below for other submission methods (including electronic).
Those previously enrolled in The Ohio State University’s Graduate School, in a degree granting program, for any length of time, will need to complete a Transfer Form in lieu of the online application.
- Disclosure of Convictions and/or Disciplinary Actions Form
PDF> Disclosure form
MS Word Document> Disclosure form (To download: Click and choose SAVE, not open )
- Current resume/curriculum vita
- Purpose and goals statement, including a narrative discussion of professional experience, future scholarly endeavors, and career trajectory
- GRE General Test scores, if required (See previous section above for further explanation regarding requirements)
- Three (or more) letters of recommendation from individuals who are familiar with the applicant’s academic ability, work experience, contributions to nursing, and potential to succeed in the program.
Each recommendation should include a letter signed by your recommender and written on academic or business letterhead stationery. Recommendations should be requested from professors who are able to comment on your qualifications for graduate study. They should not be requested from a non-academic person unless you have extensive work experience with that individual and/or you have been away from academic institutions for some time.
Cover sheets (optional)
- Transcripts from all previous universities attended. This includes transcripts for any post-secondary courses taken during high school
Electronic versions of transcripts can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Hard copies of transcripts can be sent to:
The Ohio State University
Graduate Admissions Office
P.O. Box 182004
Columbus OH 43218-2004
Beginning June 2012, for those who applied using the online applications, all transcripts need to be sent to The Ohio State University’s Graduate Admissions Office only . No additional copies need to be sent to the College of Nursing.
Please direct all transcript related questions to the Graduate Admissions Office at (614) 292-9444 or to the email stated above.
Please note that ALL transcripts must be received, even if the coursework appears as transfer credit on another transcript.
Those applying via the Graduate School "Transfer form" should continue to send transcripts to the College of Nursing, using the information below.
All other application materials should be sent to:
Electronic versions : Email as scanned .pdf or MS Word attachment to: GradRecords@con.ohio-state.edu
Fax : (614) 247-8618
College of Nursing Graduate Records
252 Newton Hall
1585 Neil Avenue
Columbus OH 43210-1289
Materials may be sent by email, fax, or postal mail. Please do not send multiple copies.
Based on Graduate Admissions Office guidelines, applicants wishing to reapply to a different (future) term of enrollment must complete a new online application and pay a new fee.
See MS Trad Introduction See Tutition & Fees See Financial Aid
See MS Trad Coursework
See Schedule a visit
See Post-master’s study option
See Graduate specialties