Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
What does an Adult Gerontology Primary Care NP do?
Click here to learn more from Dr. Gerene Bauldoff.
Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioners provide direct patient care in a primary care setting. They can diagnose and treat adolescents and adults with common illnesses or injuries. They also are involved in education, research, and legislative activities to promote quality health care. Graduates are eligible for certification as Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioners.
The primary goal of the AGPCNP Nurse Practitioner specialty is to prepare graduates for advanced practice nursing in a variety of clinical settings ranging from private practices, clinics, hospitals, and businesses to managed care organizations and governmental agencies. Coursework, clinical experience, and research allow our students to acquire the knowledge, values, and skills necessary for advanced practice nursing roles. Graduates of the specialty are eligible for certification as Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioners.
Our specialty meets the nurse practitioner curriculum guidelines of the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. To date, the pass rate of our graduates is significantly higher than the national pass rate on the certification examination.
Core Adult Gerontology Primary Care faculty
Gerene Bauldoff, PhD, RN, FAAN, Director
Susan Bowman-Burpee, MS, RN, APRN-BC, Lead Clinical Faculty
Linda Daley, PhD, RN
Jodi McDaniel, PhD, RN
Mary Alice Momeyer, DNP, RN, APRN-BC
LeeAnn Ruess, MS, RN, APRN-BC
Our Adult Gerontology Primary Care NP graduates enter the workforce with the skills and competencies to:
- assume an advanced practice role
- put theory and research into practice with individuals and families
- develop, implement, and assess nursing strategies to assure quality of care
- utilize leadership skills for positive change in policies at the local, regional, and
- adapt professionally to the constantly changing health care environment
- contribute to the advancement of the profession
- Nursing 7403 Innovation Leadership in Advanced Nursing Practice
- Nursing 7410 Advanced Health Assessment
- Nursing 7450 Pathophysiology of Altered Health States
- Nursing 7470 Advanced Pharmacology in Nursing
- Nursing 7483 Quality Improvement and Informatics
- Nursing 7491 Health Promotion and Disease Prevention across the Life Span
- Nursing 7500 Nursing in the American Health Care System
- Nursing 7780 Evidence Based Nursing Scholarship
- Nursing 7228.01 Adult Nursing Clinical Practicum
- Nursing 7228.02 Adult-Gero NP Clinical Practicum
Our NP specialty provides preceptors in a wide variety of geographic locations and clinical sites throughout central Ohio. Students work with nurse practitioners, family practice, and internal medicine physicians in ambulatory primary care and inpatient settings. Clinical experience provides the precepted hours necessary for certification as an Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner.
Admissions & program information
Traditional Master of Science option
Graduate Entry option
Post-Master’s study option
Applicants must apply directly to the College of Nursing for admission to the Post-Master's option.
For further information about the post-master's option, click here.
For further information about the Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, contact:
The Ohio State University
College of Nursing
Graduate Outreach and Admissions
1585 Neil Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43210-1289
Call (614) 688-8145
See Graduate Specialties Adult Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
See Graduate Specialties Adult-Gero Nurse Practitioner
See Graduate Specialties Adult Oncololgy CNS
See Graduate Specialties Clinical Nurse Leader
See Graduate Specialties Family Nurse Practitioner
See Graduate Specialties Neonatal Nurse Practitioner
See Graduate Specialties Nurse Midwifery
See Graduate Specialties Nursing and Health Systems Management
See Graduate Specialties Nursing Science
See Graduate Specialties Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
See Graduate Specialties Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
See Graduate Specialties Psychiatric Mental Health
See Graduate Specialties Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner